Children put things in their mouth all the time. Their curiosity pushes them to experiment with things. If you think there’s little you can do about it, you’re wrong. Things as common as household items can be poisonous for their little bodies. It is up to you to prevent them from getting too close – or worse, ingesting unwanted chemicals.
One important thing to learn, especially if you are a parent, is first aid. If you are still unfamiliar with how first aid concerning children works, taking health and safety courses will be a big help. First aid for children is different, especially because their bodies are more fragile than an average adult. So, what exactly do you have to watch out for?
Adults take aspirin to alleviate pain, but if a child ingests it, it may cause liver and brain damage. Ingestion of large amounts can cause seizures and comas, leading to poisoning.
Children tend to repeat what adults do, so if they see mom or dad use mouthwash, they would probably wonder what it is and why adults use it. Most mouthwashes contain alcohol, and this could lead to intoxication or worse, alcohol poisoning. Even adults have resorted to mouthwash for an alcohol fix.
Everyone knows that cigarettes can lead to a number of diseases. Once a child gets a hold of this or any item that contains nicotine (hard lozenges, gum, and nasal sprays, to name a few), they can end up having tremors – a mild side effect of nicotine poisoning – or worst, seizures.
Do you keep caladiums in your household? If you do, keep your child away from these. Caladiums have calcium oxalate crystals and asparagine which can be harmful to the body. They induce vomiting, blistering, and swelling of the mouth and tongue.
Never take your eyes off of your child because even household items can poison them. Curiosity is a wonderful thing, but there are downsides to it, too.